* butter for baking dish
* 1 Tbs mild-flavored honey
* 2 Tbs Kirsch or fruit liqueur (my favorite is Amaretto), optional
* 4 large egg whites
* 2 large egg yolks
* 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 1/2 tsp almond extract
* 1 cup sifted unbleached flour
* 1 1/2 cups fat-free plain yogurt
* pinch of salt
* 4 cups fruit, such as strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, pitted cherries, sliced peaches, or plums
* 2 tsp chopped dried apricots, soaked in water to soften
* 2 tsp confectioners’ sugar for dusting (optional)
* Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly butter an oval 6-cup (1.5-liter) ovenproof dish.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the honey, liqueur (if using), egg whites, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Slowly beat in the flour, then add the yogurt and salt and mix together well, but gently.
* Spread the fruit and the softened apricots in the baking dish. Pour the batter over the fruit and place on the upper rack of the oven. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden. Place a doily over the top of the dish and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar to decorate, if using.
Copyright © 2005 by Evelyn H. Lauder
Variation: Sprinkle 1/2 cup sliced almonds over the clafouti after it has been in the oven for 15 minutes.
Homemade Apricot Sauce: Chop 6 dried apricots and soak them in 1 cup (240 ml) water for 1 hour; puree to serve as a fruit sauce over the clafouti.
Calories from Fat 27 (7%)
(5%)Total Fat 3g
(6%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 75g
(15%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Nutrition facts are calculated by a food expert using nutritional values provided by the USDA for common products used as recipe ingredients. Actual nutritional values may differ depending on the amounts or products used and can be affected by cooking methods.
Copyright © 2010 Aisle7. All rights reserved. http://www.Aisle7.net
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2011.